Thursday, October 24, 2013

“What Was Auschwitz?” “I Don’t Know…”



"I have never felt able to describe my emotional reactions when I first came face to face with indisputable evidence of Nazi brutality and every shred of human decency.Up to that time I had known about it only generally or through secondary sources.I am certain, however that I never at any time experienced an equal sense of shock.

I visited every nook and cranny of that camp because I felt it my duty to be in a position to testify at first hand about these things in case there ever grew up at home the belief or assumption that 'the stories of Nazi brutality were just propaganda.' {...}

I not only did so, but as soon as I returned to Patton's headquarters that evening I sent communications to both Washington and London urging the two governments to send instantly to Germany a random group of newspaper editors and representative groups from the national legislatures. I felt that the evidence should be immediately placed before the American and British publics in a fashion that would leave no room for cynical doubt."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower, from "Crusade In Europe" , his personal memoir of WWII.

General Eisenhower realized that the historical lesson of the Holocaust was too important to be forgotten and thus perhaps repeated in a different time and place. So he not only saw to it that journalists and photographers were given access to the camps, he personally ordered that they be filmed and photographed by the Army's own personnel and eyewitness accounts documented.

He certainly can't be blamed for it, but apparently his efforts were mostly in vain.

The above video shows author Rhonda Fink-Whitman interviewing Pennsylvania public school graduates currently enrolled at four different Pennsylvania universities to see what they know about the Holocaust, WWII, and Genocide in general.

Their replies will shock and depress you,but they explain a lot.

He who controls the past controls the future.
He who controls the present controls the past.

We have always been at war with Eastasia.

(H/T, The Anchoress)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Americans are becoming a nation of dummies. How else explain the re-election of Obama?

Anonymous said...

You can keep up with current news about the Holocaust at holocaustnews.com